Beet Salad Recipe
This is an excellent healthy dish that you can add to any meal or even eat alone as a snack! I didn't like eating beets for the longest time but now really enjoy the taste, especially in this recipe where it's mixed with very different flavors.
Beets are good for you for so many reasons. They contain a ton of vitamin B-9, which is really important for optimal brain health. They also help to reduce blood pressure, absorb calcium and are great in helping the liver function.
Enough of the benefits - we already know beets are great! Here is the recipe...
- 1 large beet (without the leaves)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel off the skin of the beet using a peeler and cut off the top with the stem. This part can get messy so I suggest doing this near the sink and be ready to wipe off your cabinets right away!
- Cut the beet into 1 inch squares and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Toss the beets in some olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes, turning over every 10 minutes.
- While the beets are baking, chop up the onion, apple, cilantro and parsley and add to a large bowl. I highly recommend using a hand copper like this one - it allows you to quickly cut everything into tiny pieces!
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze all the lemon juice into the bowl. Be careful to catch any stray seeds!
- Add some salt & pepper to the mixture to taste.
- Once the beets are finished cooking (you'll be able to stick a fork through them relatively easily), place them in the hand chopper and slice into tiny pieces. This part can be a little messy as well, so just be ready to clean up and rinse your hands right away!
- Add the beets to the mixture and stir well.
Voila! This dish tastes best to me cold, but is also great to eat warm right after you make it. If eating this dish as a snack, I highly recommend adding avocado on top to give it a little extra love and texture.